In 2005 Elder Neil L. Anderson gave a talk titled "Beware the Evil Behind the Smiling Eyes". The enemies we face aren't going to appear as battle rugged and scarred people. The choices are not going to be covered in slime. Rather, they will be shined and polished, put on display for all to see, enticing and delicious to the eye. Those who present opportunities to disobey commandments given by God will not be scary looking, they will be smiling, charming and come across as caring for you. But therein lies the trap. Does what they present align with the commandments that God has given for our protection? We have been taught in Ephesians(Ephesians 6:11) to put on the whole armor of God. Does what I am watching on TV, reading in a book or talking to with my friends help me to put on the Helmet of Salvation?
You may think, "Well what about those of us who have messed up? I lost the battle, put up the white flag, there is no way out now". WRONG. There is ALWAYS a way out, there is ALWAYS a way up. Christ is the healing balm of Gilead. He has the master key to any chain of sin or addiction that may be draped upon our necks. Though torn by sin, our families can be healed and mended. Though the action or decision cannot be taken back, love, peace and happiness in our lives can fill that gap. No matter what our choices have been in the past, we can choose now to be defenders of our families and of our faith. I choose each day to defend my future family. One day I will be married and have children of my own, but today I choose to live my beliefs and honor my covenants for them.
Is it worth it?
May I echo the words of our beloved apostle Elder Jeffrey R. Holland and say
"YES IT IS!"

No comments:
Post a Comment